Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Craftsman Exteriors and New Ideas for the Porch

I couldn't fall asleep last night so I sketched out a new idea that I had for the front porch columns on one of Masai's legal pads. I based this column design on traditional craftsman porch columns and I thought the stone work on the columns and foundation might help to balance out the dominance of the roof.



That's supposed to be a porch swing on the side =) .

Since the house is a Craftsman style bungalow, it's been really neat to research the architectural history of the bungalow and the arts and crafts style.  I'm even thinking of taking a trip up to Fallingwater because its so close, I've never been, and it's part of the architectural revolution that began in the late 19th century (let me know if you want to come with!!!).  If you are at all interested in the Crafstman style, there is a great little pdf guide that you can find here and below are the pages on the Craftsman style bungalow and the section on columns from the guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment