Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kitchen Design Option # 2

I just received the preliminary designs from the second kitchen designer we met with. I have to be honest, I really did not like the general contractor from this company; he was quite abrasive and rude. I did like the kitchen designer although he doesn't like using ikea cabinets, so that's a definite negative since I actually quite like ikea's cabinets (not only for their price but for the organization system on the interior of the cabinets). What I do like, is this design. It's actually closer to my original idea for the kitchen.




My original drawing


The main difference between these new designs and the first ones, is that the sink has been moved to the left side of the kitchen under the window. This will be a little bit more expensive because we have to move the plumbing from where the original sink is now, but I think it might be worth it.



4 comments:

  1. The small cabinet next to the window on the left of the stove looks awkward.. Do you think you might like some open shelving, perhaps curved shelves that would transition better or do you really need to maximize your closed storage? You might consider that option also for the other narrow corner cabinet... Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sink works much better in the second option, and the dishwasher is closer to the counter and the dining room - It will save a lot of steps in the cleanup process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more idea - could you extend the cabinets all the way up to the ceiling? You'd get extra storage for things you don't use a lot and you wouldn't have to worry about dust on top of the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mom! Thanks for all of your great ideas! I was definitely thinking of doing shelving instead of that weird cabinet. Maybe the Ikea Grundtal shelves that you have at home? I'm going to post my design board for the kitchen with some more ideas for the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete